If you missed yesterday’s HOME Coalition webinar with HUD Secretary Julian Castro to discuss Congress’s proposal to severely cut—and even essentially eliminate—the HOME program. You can find a copy of the webinar presentation here.
As the HOME Coalition discussed, we would like to encourage you to use the upcoming August Recess (August 10 to September 7) as an opportunity to engage your Senators and Representatives and to urge them to restore the HOME program to at least $1.06 billion, as requested by the President.
You can help #SaveHOME by:
(1) Calling your Representatives and Senators and urging them to restore funding for the HOME program;
(2) Scheduling a meeting with your Senators and Representatives or their staff to discuss why HOME is critical to the work that you do;
(3) Inviting your Representatives and Senators to visit your organization, take a tour of a HOME-funded development, or meet a family that used HOME dollars to access safe, decent, and affordable housing; and
(4) Engaging your local media by pitching a news story or publishing an op-ed about what the proposed HOME cuts mean to your community.
To help you get started, please visit the HOME Coalition website for advocacy materials, including the national sign-on letter to Congressional leadership, signed by more than 1,500 organizations!
Enterprise has also created a number of resources that you can use and share widely, including:
· Fact Sheet on how HOME and the Housing Credit work together to provide affordable housing;
· Information on how your state uses HOME to provide access to affordable housing;
· Sample op-ed for your local newspaper;
· HOME success story template. Use this template to submit a HOME success story for publication in the upcoming HOME Coalition report; and
· Summer Advocacy Toolkit with best practices on engaging your Members of Congress.
In addition, please feel free to use the resources that HUD developed, including:
· Fact Sheet on the Senate’s proposed HOME cuts; and
We look forward to working with you to #SaveHOME!