There will be no ACTION Campaign call in August because of the congressional recess.
We encourage all ACTION Campaign members to take advantage of this time when members of Congress are in their home states and districts to invite them to visit Housing Credit properties and to meet with them and their staff to discuss the impact of the Housing Credit locally.
We also encourage you to urge your Senators to co-sponsor the Affordable Housing Credit Improvement Act of 2016,S.2962, which Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) and Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-UT) introduced in May.
S. 2962 would:
- Expand Housing Credit authority by 50 percent. This would make a meaningful step towards addressing our nation’s vast and growing affordable housing needs by enabling the creation or preservation of up to 400,000 new affordable homes over the next decade.
- Make affordable housing financing more predictable and feasible by creating a permanent minimum 4 percent Housing Credit rate for acquisition and for Housing Bond-financed properties.
- Permit income averaging within Housing Credit properties in order to preserve rigorous targeting while providing more flexibility and responsiveness to local needs.
More recently, Senators Cantwell and Hatch introduced S. 3237 (also titled the Affordable Housing Credit Improvement Act of 2016), which includes all of the provisions from S. 2962, and also adds numerous programmatic modifications that will further strengthen the Housing Credit by:
- Making Housing Credit administration more predictable and streamlined,
- Supporting the preservation of existing affordable housing,
- Facilitating Housing Credit development in challenging markets like rural and Native American communities, and
- Increasing the Housing Credit’s ability to serve extremely low-income tenants.
ACTION is continuing to focus our cosponsorship campaign on S. 2962, which already has strong bipartisan support in the Senate, so please ask your Senators to cosponsor that bill as a first priority. If you or your Senator is particularly interested in specific provisions included in S. 3237, encourage him or her to communicate that to Senator Cantwell’s office when he/she cosponsors S. 2962. We also welcome cosponsorship of S. 3237 in addition to cosponsorship of S. 2962.
See our Advocacy Toolkit for bill summaries and bill text, sample letters to members of Congress, talking points and more.
"This email is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this email by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately, and delete the material from your computer."