Dear FY 2017 Homelessness Funding Advocates,
Now that the election is behind us, Members of Congress are back in DC for the lame-duck session. Please join us for our National Call-In Days TODAY through this Friday, November 18 to ensure ending homelessness stays on Members’ radars as a priority during this transitional time. Appropriators will be working on fiscal year (FY) 2017 spending bills since the current continuing resolution (CR), a stopgap funding measure that funds government programs at FY 2016 levels, runs out December 9. So, NOW is the time to take action by calling your congressional offices!
Here’s What You Can Do:
· For local offices, check your Members’ websites for the number or contact jklein or jcolman for help.
· For national offices, dial the Congressional switchboard at 877-210-5351.
2. When you reach your Members’ offices, ask to speak to the staff person who handles housing issues.
· Let them know that providing a more than $200 million increase to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants program in the final FY 2017 HUD spending bill would be critical to work to end homelessness in your community!
If your Representative or Senator signed on to the House or Senate letter in support of increased funding for McKinney, thank their office and ask them to reiterate their support to House and Senate Transportation, Housing and Urban Development (T-HUD) Appropriations Subcommittee staff.
If your Senator or Representative did not sign on, ask them to weigh in now with T-HUD Appropriations Subcommittee staff letting them know a more than $200 million increase for McKinney needs to be a priority this year.
3. Let us know how offices respond!
· And when you do so, be sure to thank Jaime for all of her great work at the Alliance, since her last day with us is this Friday and we will miss her and her contributions to this work dearly. What a better way to send her off than with a strong advocacy push?
While the results of the recent election leave much unknown (including exactly when FY 2017 spending bills will be finalized), something we do know is that Republican and Democratic appropriators in both chambers will be working on funding levels for these bills in the coming weeks. We need to send a strong message now about the important role homeless assistance programs play in lifting many of the most vulnerable members of our society out of crisis situations. Please share the work these programs are doing in your community with your congressional delegations’ local and national offices and urge them to make ending homelessness a priority today!
"This email is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this email by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately, and delete the material from your computer."