The Trump Administration’s fiscal year (FY) 2018 Budget Request, A New Foundation for American Greatness, proposes dramatic cuts to housing and community development programs. If enacted, these proposals would place hundreds of thousands of families at risk of homelessness and reduce access to better work, transit, education, and health care options for many more. These proposals come at a time when more and more Americans are struggling to afford a place to call home.
Safe and stable home connected to resources like health care, schools, jobs and transportation is the foundation for a successful life. Federal investments in housing leverage private and local investments at a rate greater than three to one, transforming communities and the lives of the people there. Help persuade Congress to reject the ideas in the President’s Budget Request – they would harm millions of Americans and their communities.
If you are interested in taking additional steps:
- Reach out to your members of Congress. Click here to find your Senators’ and Representatives’ housing staffer’s contact information.
- Invite your members and their staff to a housing development so they can see the impact these homes have. This is the single most effective way to turn an interested member into a supporter and a supporter into a champion for our issues.
- Write an op-ed in your local paper.
- Register for the Campaign for Housing and Community Development Funding (CHCDF) webinar: President Trump Proposes Massive Budget Cuts to Critical HUD and USDA Resources
- Sign the HOME Coalition’s Sign On Letter for organizations, local governments, and businesses in support of restoring funding for HOME to $1.2 billion.
- Submit a HOME Success Story to share with members of Congress, using this success story template.